Genetic Muscle Disease eCourse
Presenters: Jamie Eskuri, MD, Pediatric Neurologist; Kali Juliette, Genetic Counselor; Leah Meyer, OT; Meghan Burnstiine, PT II
Deadline to Register for eCourse: Thursday, June 10, 2021
eCourse Access Begins: June 10, 2021 (course is self-paced)
eCourse Closes: Saturday, July 10, 2021
eCourse Cost: $100 AACPDM Members / $150 Non-Members
- Understand neuromuscular specialists’ scope of practice, including the types of conditions they diagnose/treat.
- Identify three red flags from a child’s history and exam that can help identify children who are at highest risk for having an underlying genetic muscle disease.
- Identify the two most important next steps after you’ve identified a child who may have a genetic muscle disease
- Identify the importance of genetic counseling and genetic testing in diagnosing genetic muscle diseases, determining eligibility for disease treatment, and anticipating patient prognosis.
- Evaluate key family history findings that may be red flags for undiagnosed genetic muscle diseases.
- Understand the various genetic testing techniques for genetic muscle diseases including single gene testing, genetic testing panels, and whole exome sequencing, and when each test may be applied .
- Learn the unique role of physical and occupational therapy evaluations for patients with genetic muscle diseases and identify red flags for undiagnosed patients.
- Understand physical and occupational therapy treatment strategies for patients with genetic muscle disease including equipment, adaptations, and energy conservation.
- Identify the importance of collaborative care between therapies, home, school, and day care emphasizing a team approach.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________HOW TO ENROLL:
1. Login if you have taken an eCourse before or Create an Account
Please keep in mind this is separate from your AACPDM account (unless you created it to be the same).
2. Select the Course from “Available Courses”
3. Follow the directions on screen to submit a payment through PayPal. You do not need a PayPal account and may checkout as a guest.
System Requirements: For browsers, we recommend Firefox 3.5+ or IE 8. We no longer support IE 6. Though not optimized for other browsers, eCourses will also work with popular mobile devices, Chrome and Safari. There may be minor visual differences among different browsers, but it shouldn't affect performance or functionality.
For best results, you’re encouraged to access your eCourses through a high-speed broadband service, and check to make sure you have adequate audio and video capabilities, including Adobe Flash. eCourses will perform well on either a Mac or Windows-based computer.
Cancellation Policy: No refunds will be granted to AACPDM eCourses enrollment. Any cancellation requests must be received in writing prior to the course start date to firstname.lastname@example.org. Approved requests will be given credit towards a future AACPDM eCourse.